Are you looking for an easy dinner Idea? Check out this recipe for my one-pot chicken and rice.
My one pot chicken and rice is a great option for a weeknight dinner. I love a one pot meal because I am not a fan of dishes. Meals like this allow me to make a complete meal for my family without filling my sink up with dirty pots and pans.
For my one pot meals I typically use a Dutch oven. I love that they are pretty non-stick and I love how they conduct heat. You can find some expensive well known brands that have great Dutch ovens. I prefer the lodge brand. It’s much more affordable and it works really well. I will link the Dutch oven I use HERE.
This meal is great for a weeknight because there is very little prep required. Also this meal is made even more easy because we are using pre-cooked shredded chicken. You can use a grocery store rotisserie chicken or make your own. Any type of chicken that you can shred will work for this recipe. If you want an easy method for cooking a whole chicken in the oven I will link my Whole Roasted Chicken blog post HERE.
One pot meals are great because you can sneak in a ton of veggies. Use whatever you have in your fridge or pantry. I also love using bone broth for one pot meals because it packs a ton of flavor and nutrients. I will link the post for my homemade bone broth HERE. You can easily substitute with chicken or veggie broth for this recipe.
Here’s how I make my one pot chicken and rice
1 tbs oil
1/2 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1 jalapeno chopped (optional)
2 cups shredded chicken
2 1/2 tbs taco seasoning
1 can diced tomatoes (with green chilies if you want a little spice)
1/2 can corn (drained)
1 can black beans drained
1 cup white rice (any white rice will work)
2 cups broth (bone broth, chicken broth, veggie broth will all work)
1/2 cup shredded cheese
2 cloves garlic minced
green onion for garnish (optional)
Steps for one pot chicken and rice
Heat a large pot over medium heat with the oil
Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno to the pot and heat for a few minutes while stirring occasionally
Next add the chicken. I chose to use a meat masher to break apart my chicken into smaller pieces but that is not necessary
Add the taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, corn and black beans
Stir to combine the ingredients
Now add the rice and garlic
Stir and cook for about a minute
Add broth, stir and let it come to a boil
Once boiling turn the heat down to medium low and cover for about 20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed. You may want to stir every few minutes to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom but I don’t find this necessary in the Dutch oven
Once rice is fully cooked remove the lid and give it one more good stir
Turn off the heat. Add shredded cheese to the top and cover again for about a minute to melt the cheese
Add green onion for garnish (optional) and it’s ready to serve
I top mine with sour cream, avocado, salsa and a little more cheese but these toppings are optional. This dish is delicious with or without toppings
Makes about 6 servings
There you have it. One pot chicken and rice.
This was extremely simple to make. As I said before you can amp up the vegetables in this dish. Use up what you have in the fridge. This is a complete meal for our family so I don’t usually serve it with sides but you can definitely serve this with a side of veggies or even some chips.
I like to top this dish with some salsa, cheese, sour cream and avocado. Those are all optional and if you’re really on a tight budget you can skip those all together. This dish is delicious even without toppings.
Here are some of my other one pot recipes:
If you enjoyed this post please share it to Facebook or Pinterest.
- 1 tbs oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped (optional)
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 1/2 tbs taco seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes (with green chilies if you want a little spice)
- 1/2 can corn (drained)
- 1 can black beans drained
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup white rice (any white rice will work)
- 2 cups broth (bone broth, chicken broth, veggie broth will all work)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- green onion for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat with the oil
- Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno to the pot and heat for a few minutes while stirring occasionally
- Add chicken. I chose to use a meat masher to break apart my chicken into smaller pieces but that is not necessary
- Add taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, corn & black beans
- Stir to combine all ingredients
- Add rice and garlic
- Stir and cook for about a minute
- Add broth, stir and let it come to a boil
- Once boiling reduce heat and cover
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. You may need to stir every few minutes to keep rice from sticking to the bottom but I don't find a need for this in the Dutch oven
- Give it one more good stir
- Turn of heat, sprinkle shredded cheese over the top and put the lid back on. Allow the residual heat to melt the cheese
- Sprinkle green onion over top and it's ready to enjoy!
- If you'd like you can add toppings such as sour cream, more shredded cheese, avocado, salsa or hot sauce
Thank you for stopping by!
*Some links are affiliate links. For full disclaimer check HERE